A Pakistani student has been ambushed by a group of thugs, beaten bloody with a knuckleduster and told to 'go back to your f***ing country, you don't belong here'.

Abdullah Qaiser, 21, was on his way to study at the University of Newcastle library about 8.30pm on Saturday when a group of men and women surrounded his car and brutally attacked him.

A woman reached through his window and stole his mobile phone while a man opened his car door, punched him in the face and told him to go back to Pakistan.

The full force of the punch combined with the metal knuckleduster left Mr Qaiser with a broken nose that will likely require surgery.

The 21-year-old engineering student said he lost consciousness briefly before waking up and driving to the university's first aid room.

'I panicked. I didn't know what to do. The blood was flowing out of my nose,' he told the Newcastle Herald.

The first aid paramedics called an ambulance and notified police of the attack.

Mr Qaiser was taken to John Hunter Hospital where he was treated for injuries to his face.

Mr Qaiser, who moved from Pakistan to Newcastle in February last year, said he left his home country in search of safety and a better life.

'I came over here because I believed it was pretty secure,' he said.

'I'm from Pakistan you know what's happening in Pakistan people come here to get a better education, to be a bit secure. So when this kind of thing happens, it's pretty sad.'

Newcastle Police investigating the attack told Daily Mail Australia they were reviewing CCTV footage from the university campus.

Officers said they wanted to speak with a man and woman who might be able to assist with their inquiries.

The man has been described as Caucasian in appearance, aged between 20-25, of a muscular build with short blond hair.

The woman has also been described as Caucasian in appearance, aged between 20-25, of a slim build and with long light brown hair worn in a ponytail.

Police urged anyone with information about the attack to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A University of Newcastle spokesperson told the publication they were assisting the police with their investigation.