Lewis Hamilton says he will still take pride from his performance during the 2016 Formula 1 World Championship season even if he is forced to cede his title to team-mate Nico Rosberg in this weekend's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix decider.

Despite three consecutive lights-to-flag wins in the USA, Mexico and Brazil, Hamilton still faces an uphill task to bridge the 12 point margin to Rosberg at the head of the standings.

With a third place finish around the Yas Marina Circuit enough for Rosberg to clinch the title even if Hamilton wins the race, the Briton admits the odds are stacked well against him should the race go to form.

Despite this, Hamilton is steeling himself for the potential loss of his world title by taking pride from his impressive end-of-season form, which included a maiden win on Brazilian soil

To finally win in Brazil was a moment I'll never forget,” he said. “It had been a long time coming. I'm in a good place right now.

“I'm feeling super strong in this amazing car that everyone at the factories has worked so hard to give us. I've had 31 wins in four years with this team so far, which is just crazy. I'm so thankful for the great opportunity these guys have given me. We're continuing to make history together.

“It's not been a perfect season and I'm faced with pretty impossible odds no matter what I do this weekend. But I can't and won't give up. You never know what might happen - however unlikely it may seem. I'll be proud of myself and what I've achieved as long as I feel I've given my all and performed at my best.

“And, whatever happens, I'm proud of everyone who's been a part of the success we've shared over the past few years. I'm approaching this weekend the same as I do every race. I want to win and I'll give it everything to finish the season on a high.”