Lewis Hamilton has shown his appreciation for Nico Rosberg's achievement to secure a maiden F1 world title, taking it off his Mercedes team-mate, and is already looking to strike back in 2017.

The three-time F1 world champion won the race in Abu Dhabi but lost the title battle with his Mecedes team-mate holding on to second place by fending off a charging Sebastian Vettel and both Red Bulls despite Hamilton backing him up into the pack.

Rosberg becomes just the fifth driver in F1 history to take the world drivers' crown off a team-mate – and first since Ayrton Senna lost to Alain Prost in 1989 – and Hamilton has paid respect to the achievement.

“A big congratulations to Nico, of course, his first world championship. Good job,” Hamilton said. “It's an amazing feeling to win the world championship.

“I did everything I could this year especially in the final races. But Nico had a clean year without any real issues to be honest, that's why we sit in these positions. He did a fantastic job so congratulations - and I look forward to fighting with him next year.”

READ: Nico Rosberg clinches the 2016 F1 world title

Hamilton ends 2016 by becoming the driver with the most wins in a single season, 10, without claiming the F1 world title while also notching up the most pole positions with 12 from 21 races.
Read more at http://www.crash.net/f1/news/235459/...FbyEoJ6PKyT.99