The Foos were backstage and beamed onto a screen in the stadium

Foo Fighters made an appearance at Metallica’s sold out show yesterday (October 16) from the backstage area.

Before the show began, Foo Fighters Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl were filmed backstage by comedian Jim Breuer, who opened for Metallica.

Breuer was filming backstage, with the images being beamed out to the waiting crowd and later posted to the band’s Instagram account. As he was walking around backstage, Breuer opened a door revealing Hawkins and Grohl. The crowd could be heard screaming at the images.

“I didn’t find Metallica, but I found … ,” Breuer said, before pointing to Grohl and Hawkins. He asked the crowd if any of the fans were attending the Foos’ show tonight (October 17).

Last week (12 October), Foo Fighters treated fans in Kansas City, Missouri, to a cover of Metallica’s ‘Enter Sandman’.

But the cover had a twist as Grohl and co invited a 10-year-old fan up onstage to help play guitar on the track. Fan filmed footage showed Grohl ask the youngster – named Collier – if he knows how to play guitar. When he responded with “yes”, the Foos frontman then asked: “What do you know?” Collier subsequently replied: “I know a lot of Metallica songs.”

Collier then broke into the opening riff of ‘Enter Sandman’ and Grohl and the rest of the Foos join in. You can watch footage of the moment here:

Grohl has said that the band are set to ‘take a break’ after their current tour, but added that they already have an idea of what shape their next album will take.

“It’s a challenge, you know? You kind of set these goals for yourself, to see if you can do it again, even when you’re crawling to the finish line you know that it’s there,” he told Billboard. “So here we are at the last set of shows we’ve been on for a year and a half and I’m ready to take a break but I’m ready to do it again at some point.”

He continued: “When we start making records it’s almost like I don’t hear the song as much as I can see them, in my head. So I don’t read music, I see music in kind of shapes and patterns, so I can see the next record, I know that there is another one there, I don’t know when but I think I know what we should do.

“We’ve been lucky, we’ve had this lightning rod that we’ve followed for fucking twenty four years, or whatever and it takes us where we think we should go.”