Starring Ellen Page, Mary J. Blige and more

The first teaser trailer for Gerard Way’s new Netflix series The Umbrella Academy has been released. The series is based on the Dark Horse comic written by Way and illustrated by Gabriel Bá.

The comic book series debuted back in 2007 and was first optioned as a movie before Dark Horse signed a deal with Universal Cable Productions to adapt the comic as a TV series.

Way began writing the The Umbrella Academy a year after the release of My Chemical Romance‘s 2006 album ‘The Black Parade’. It tells the tale of a group of kids – Spaceboy, the Kraken, the Rumor, the Séance, Number Five, the Horror, and the White Violin – born within 24 hours to women who weren’t even pregnant when they woke up.

The “gifted” young people are adopted by billionaire Reginald Hargreeves as children, who aimed to hone their powers until they were strong enough to save the world. Hargreeves is suddenly found dead and the heroes must come together to investigate his death. You can watch the first trailer for the series below.

The show stars Ellen Page as Vanya Hargreeves/The White Violin; Tom Hopper as Luther Hargreeves/Spaceboy; Misfits‘ Robert Sheehan as Klaus Hargreeves/The Séance; Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison Hargreeves/The Rumor; David Castañeda as Diego Hargreeves/The Kraken; Aidan Gallagher as Number Five/The Boy; Mary J. Blige as Cha-Cha; Cameron Britton as Hazel; Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves/The Monocle; Adam Godley as Pogo and John Magaro as Leonard Peabody.

It’s set to debut on the streaming service on February 15, 2019.

Back in October, Way shared his comeback single ‘Baby You’re A Haunted House’. The former My Chemical Romance frontman released his debut solo album ‘Hesitant Alien’ in 2014.

Way also told fans he was working on new music every Friday. “Now, onto the music”, Way wrote on Facebook. “It is far too early to have any kind of idea when new music will be coming out from me, or what it will be specifically. Would it be a solo record? A new band? Songs for the Netflix Umbrella Academy show?”

He continues: “Something else? Again, too early to tell, but the process has started and happens every Friday at the moment. I’m in the discovery phase, and very excited about that.”