The late rapper's cause of death was confirmed earlier this week

Vince Staples has paid tribute to Mac Miller, saying: “The good ones always die.”

Miller was found dead at his San Fernando Valley home on September 7. Earlier this week (November 5), his cause of death was confirmed to be from “mixed drug toxicity”, with fentanyl, cocaine, and alcohol present in his system.

In an interview on Real 92.3’s Big Boy’s Neighbourhood, Staples was asked whether there had been any signs that Miller might suffer an overdose. “He was trying,” he replied. “All you can ask for is for somebody to try. You can’t always win, you know? Nah, I never seen him dying. He was too happy. But to be honest, the good ones always die. So it makes sense in retrospect, but I was never worried about him.”

Staples continued to talk about the tributes that had been made to Miller since his death. “He was bright,” he said. “As far as all them people, it’s all good. I appreciate what they say but, I need them to say that to his momma. And say that to his family, and check on them. That’s what I care about.”

A tribute concert was held in Miller’s memory in Los Angeles last month (October 31), featuring performances from the likes of Staples, Chance The Rapper, SZA, John Mayer, Miguel, and more. The event also marked the launch of the Mac Miller Circles Fund, which aims to provide “programming, resources, and opportunities to youth from underserved communities.”

Earlier this week, French Montana opened up about his friendship with Miller and the circumstances around his death. The musician told BET’s Raq Rants the people around his late friend had “let him get away with whatever he chooses to do.”