"There’s 22 men who have gone in twice and zero women. I think that’s really a little off balance."

Fleetwood Mac‘s Stevie Nicks has discussed advising the Haim sisters to embark on solo careers, allowing them to follow in her footsteps of being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice.

Earlier this week, Nicks became the first woman to become a member of the Hall of Fame for both her work with a band as well as a solo career. “To be recognized for my solo work makes me take a deep breath and smile,” the singer said of the news. “It’s a glorious feeling.”

Now, the 70-year-old musician has said that she hopes the honour will inspire younger females in the rock industry.

“After the show last night I was talking to the Haim girls,” Nicks told Rolling Stone. “I was saying to them, ‘Okay, now I’ve opened the door for you. Now each one of you need to go do a solo album really fast and get your solos going, so in the next 20 years you’ll be able to do this too and maybe I’ve opened the doors to all the girls in my life that sing and write and play and are amazing.’”

Speaking of the gender inequality of the Hall of Fame, Nicks added: “My biggest hope is that I have opened the door due to the fact that there’s 22 men who have gone in twice and zero women. I think that’s really a little off balance.

“That’s what I’m hoping, that what’s happened here to me will give all the little rock and roll stars that are just waiting out there a little hope that they can also do what I do.”

Saying that the prestigious recognition for her solo work “took a long time”, Nicks suggested that this might not be the case for newer female acts.

“It took a long time for this to happen,” she said, “but maybe because of this, it won’t take so long for all the other incredibly talented women that I know and that I respect and that I listen to and that I’m friends with. That’s really the nicest thing.”

Nicks released her first solo album, ‘Bella Donna’, in 1981 and went on to release a further seven LPs including ‘The Wild Heart,’ ‘Trouble in Shangri-La’, and 2014’s ’24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault’.

To be eligible to enter the hallowed hall, an artist’s first commercial records need to have been released 25 years ago, in 1993.
Fleetwood Mac were inducted back in 1998 – just five years after they became eligible.

Also being welcomed into the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are Radiohead, Janet Jackson, The Cure, Roxy Music, Def Leppard, and the Zombies. The ceremony will take place on March 29 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Meanwhile, Lindsay Buckingham has revealed that he’d be up for returning to Fleetwood Mac, less than a year after he was fired from the legendary band.