Skrillex has said that his music comes from a DIY place, arguing that he needs to retain control in order to continue innovating.

The producer and DJ speaks exclusively to NME as part of this week's new issue, on newsstands now andavailable digitally, from tomorrow (May 7).

Discussing The Nest, a free-to-use studio space he has created in Los Angeles for electronic musicians, Skrillex says: "We're this very tight group of people and when we make our decisions – not to sound cheesy – it's for the love of art. If you want to call it punk rock or DIY, then that is my culture. If you give away that creative thing to other people, then it'll get lost and turn into something you never intended it to."

It is this freedom that helps the artist, who released his debut album 'Recess' earlier this year and will also appear at Glastonbury in June, to keep up his energy. "It's like when you go to McDonalds and the dude's a dick. You're like, 'Dude, at least fucking do your job the best you can while you're here'. I'm 100 per cent a believer of this: no matter how hard it is sometimes, you have to wake up and enjoy what you're doing," he says.

The producer, real name Sonny Moore, adds: "I've seen DJs fizzle out because they've let the work or the pressure get to them. A lot of artists got jaded really quick."

Skrillex released 'Recess' in March of this year. It features guests including Ragga Twins, Chance The Rapper, Diplo, Passion Pit vocalist Michael Angelakos plus OWSLA stars Kill The Noise, Alvin Risk and Milo & Otis.

Speaking to NME about 'Recess' prior to its release, the producer and DJ said that the true measure of its success will be apparent when he performs live, as he feels record sales are "trivial".