Robin Thicke has said that the student unions at various British universities who banned his song 'Blurred Lines' from being played in their bars did so because they "don't get it".

The University Of Edinburgh were the first to ban the controversial track, which features the lyrics "I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two". The song and video have been branded by critics as sexist, with allegations that it promotes non-consensual sex with the chorus "I really hate these blurred lines".

In an interview with the BBC, Thicke said: "I don't think people got it out here in the UK in those positions of power. I think the kids get it. I just have to deal with that. I wrote it about my wife. She's my good girl. And I know she wants it because we've been together for 20 years so I can vouch for that".

University College London's student union is the most recent SU to ban the song, following similar measures by The University Of London Union, and universities in Leeds, Kingston, Derby and West Scotland Universities.

At the time, Kirsty Haigh, Edinburgh University Student Association vice president services told NME in a statement: "The decision to ban 'Blurred Lines' from our venues has been taken as it promotes an unhealthy attitude towards sex and consent. EUSA has a policy on zero tolerance towards sexual harrassment, a policy to end lad culture on campus and a safe space policy – all of which this song violates."

Thicke, however, claimed that the song's lyrics were a "feminist movement within itself". He said: "It's supposed to stir conversation, it's supposed to make us talk about what's important and what the relationship between men and women is, but if you listen to the lyrics it says 'That man is not your maker' – it's actually a feminist movement within itself."