Robbie Williams has criticised Liam Gallagher for reportedly cheating on his wife Nicole Appleton.

Williams, who previously dated Appleton, claims the former All Saints singer deserves better. It comes after The New York Post claimed that Liza Ghorbani, a journalist for publications including Elle and The Wall Street Journal, had an affair with Gallagher after she interviewed him for the New York Times in 2010 and subsequently gave birth to a daughter, Gemma, in January of this year.

The former Oasis frontman was living with his wife Appleton, the mother of his 12-year-old son Gene, when news of Ghorbani's claims were revealed earlier this year. The couple have subsequently split.

Williams told The Sun: "I have a very big soft spot for Nic because she's a very decent person. I feel sorry for her as she deserves to be in a good place, in a happy marriage, and I thought she was with Liam. But it would appear that they weren't. Nicole really doesn't deserve all that from Liam. I've very, very fond memories of her. She's a sweetie.''

Williams is now married to Ayda Field and has a 13-month-old daughter, Theodora Rose, with the actress. He added: 'I think you're very lucky to find somebody you can coexist with without straying or going mad or being angry. That's whether you're Liam Gallagher and Nicole Appleton, Robbie Williams and Ayda Field or Tim and June from down the road. Luckily I'm in a relationship where we are heading in the same direction - but Liam and Nicole weren't.''