"You’ve got to have the artillery"

Richard Ashcroft has explained why he believes that he’s the only solo artist capable of supporting Oasis.

The former Verve frontman, who is gearing up to release new album ‘Natural Rebel’, explained his reasoning after a huge summer that has seen him supporting Liam Gallagher in both Manchester and London.

“I’m very lucky that I can walk on the stage before anyone in the world”, he told Radio X.“And that’s the thing: you’ve got to be pretty confident to go on after me. You’ve got to have the artillery, as I call it. and the artillery is your songs.

“If you’ve got 50,000 people and they’re getting further and further inebriated and they want some fucking tunes, you’d better be delivering.”

Describing his previous support slots with Oasis, he explained: “I used to get that with Oasis, I’ve supported Oasis on my own. I’ve said that to them, I reckon I’m the only solo male artist in the world that can walk on before Oasis.

“And be in the spirit of it and also not shrink in those moments, but drink it in and embrace it. They know that, because we all have a similar audience. I understand what it’s like to love a band and be passionate and make your way to the front.”

The same interview also saw Ashcroft urge artists to focus on entertainment rather than politics, and “stop making speeches“.

Meanwhile, Natural Rebel is set for release on October 19.

“With experience comes knowledge and for me this is my strongest set of songs to date”, Ashcroft previously said of the record. “All my favourite sounds distilled into something that will hopefully give my fans lasting pleasure. It is for them. Music is power.”

Richard Ashcroft on tour
Meanwhile, his upcoming UK tour dates are below.

Friday October 26– Glasgow Barrowlands
Sunday October 28– Middlesborough Town Hall
Monday October 29– Nottingham Rock City
Wednesday October 31 – Manchester Albert Hall
Friday November 2 – Kentish Town Forum, London