"It's a bloody song on a new Ariana Grande album"

R.E.M. fans were left hoping that a reunion might on the cards this morning, after the seminal band’s name began trending across social media.

But while it may have led to fresh hope that the Michael Stipe band could join forces once more, the reality was a lot less exciting for fans.

It soon transpired that the band share their name with a track on Ariana Grande’s new album ‘Sweetener‘ – and her fans had actually made the phrase trend after praising the song online.

For R.E.M fans, the realisation proved to be mightily disappointing. “Saw R.E.M. was trending and was sure it was something to do with a reunion, but then I found out it was actually because of a new Ariana Grande song called “R.E.M.” I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little annoyed”, one said.

Another admitted: “Damn, saw that R.E.M was trending and got excited about a reunion. It’s a bloody song on a new Ariana Grande album or something..”

“Dammit”, one fan said.

“Saw R.E.M. trending and got excited about a possible reunion for a minute. Didn’t think it would be, but you can always dream”.

Although the band called it a day in 2011, they continue to be firm friends – and got together to celebrate the 25th anniversary of seminal album ‘Automatic For The People’ in 2017.

But they remain adamant that the band won’t reform, admitting that “nothing on this earth” will persuade them to do so.

“There’s such a luxury in being able to quit on your own terms, when it’s your decision, for all the right reasons”, said bassist Mike Mills.

“I’m sure there are things that we could do that would make a difference and be a positive thing in the world, but at the same time, somebody’s gotta mean it when they stop. We want to be the band that actually means it.

“I wish The Beatles had reunited! I like it when bands get back together as a rule, but for us I think that it would only diminish everything that we worked for. I see no reason to take that chance.”