Awkward.

Nicki Minaj reportedly flew 6000 miles to China for a festival appearance last weekend, only to discover that the event was an alleged scam.

The rapper travelled to Shanghai to perform a 90-minute set at the Djakarta Warehouse Project China festival on Sunday, only days after the festival was accused of being an unauthorised spin-off of a similar event in Indonesia.

In a statement, DWP denied that the festival was a spin-off of the annual Djakarta Warehouse Project in Bali and claimed that the use of their branding was “unauthorized.”

“The event rumored to take place in Shanghai on 17th & 18th of November 2018 is an unauthorized use of DWP trademark,” DWP International said in a statement. “DWP as a brand, has no association with the event.”

In response, the Shanghai festival then claimed that they were a legitimate event that had been sanctioned by DWP.

But as the controversy unfolded, Minaj was seemingly unaware until she landed in China. After being made aware of the entire situation, she eventually refused to perform to a crowd of thousands who had paid in excess of $400 for a two-day ticket.

Addressing the situation, Minaj said in an Instagram video: “I’ll be back you guys for my real fans, in Shanghai, in China. I love you so much,. And I’ll be back with a better partner this time, okay?”

Other acts scheduled to perform include DJ Snake and ‘Despacito’ singer DJ Snake.

Meanwhile, Nicki Minaj offered a message of support for rapper 6ix9ine after he was arrested on Sunday, facing life in prison.