"Let’s show the young people that this knife trend has to stop."

The Specials singer Neville Staple has said he is “devastated” after his 21-year-old grandson was stabbed to death.

Fidel, the son of Staples’ daughter Natalie, died in the early hours of Saturday morning after he was stabbed in Coventry.

He was found outside the city’s Club M in Croft Road and later died in hospital, West Midlands police have confirmed. A man has been arrested.

Staple, a leading member of the iconic ska group, wrote on Facebook: “We are truly devastated to announce the heartbreaking loss of my grandson Fidel (my daughter Melanie’s son), who died today as a result of being attacked with a knife in the street.

“We want to thank the hospital staff and surgeons at UHCW University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, who battled all day to try and save him.

“My beautiful daughter Melanie and wife Christine Sugary, all the family and myself are still shocked by this tragedy, but would like to thank you all for the kindness and messages we have received.”

Staple subsequently announced that scheduled performances last weekend would still go ahead.

‘Thank you for your messages of support during our personal tragedy”, he later added.

‘My wife Christine Sugary Staple and I have decided that our shows this week, in Coventry and Brighton, will go on and will be dedicated to our grandson Fidel and daughter Melanie (who asked that we still perform).

He added: ‘We ask that you help us turn our pain into a message. Let’s show the young people that this knife trend has to stop.”