Miley Cyrus is leading Time magazine's Person of the Year poll.

Cyrus, who released her second solo album 'Bangerz' in October, has had a controversial 2013. In August, Cyrus twerked on stage at the MTV VMAs with Robin Thicke and subsequently clashed with Sinead O'Connor after the Irish singer warned her not to let the music industry "prostitute" her.

Cyrus is currently above NSA leaker Edward Snowden and the Pope with 24 per cent of all votes cast. Other people in the running for the title include Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an, Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan, royal baby Prince George and education activist Malala Yousafzai.

Earlier this month Miley Cyrus was criticised by anti-drugs campaigners after appearing to smoke a joint onstage at the MTV EMAs in Amsterdam.

Walking on stage at the Ziggo Arena to accept the award for Best Video, which she won for the controversial promo for 'Wrecking Ball', she stopped to light a hand-rolled cigarette. "I couldn't fit the award in my purse but I did find this," she said, taking the 'joint' and lighter from her purse and sparking up.

Cannabis is not legal in the Netherlands, but users can’t be prosecuted for possession of small amounts, while it can be sold legally in coffee shops.