beatleslostconcert.jpg

Sony has successfully defended their intellectual property and stopped the release of the film The Beatles: The Lost Concert.

The film was based around 35 minutes of footage obtained by Ace Arts of the band's first U.S. concert on February 11, 1964 at the Coliseum in Washington, DC. Additional footage, photos and interviews were used to flesh out the show to make a 92 minute documentary.

On May 6, 2012, Ace Arts and Screenvision had planned on showing the film in 500 theaters across the U.S. before Sony and Apple Corps successfully obtained an injunction to shop the presentation. Ace Arts subsequently sued Sony and ATV, saying 'At the eleventh hour, in mid-April 2012, Sony/ATV, at the insistence of, and in conspiracy with, Apple Corps, wrongfully interfered with the distribution contract by making false statements to exhibitors, theater owners and potential distributors concerning Ace's legal right to exhibit the documentary, making unjustified threats of legal action and filing a baseless lawsuit in England.'

On Wednesday, Sony Corp won a final court battle in the U.K. that found that Ace Arts had infringed Sony's copyrights in both England and the U.S. The judge based the verdict on the fact that Sony owned the rights to eight of the twelve songs that the Beatles performed that night.

If the film had been released, this is what you would have seen them perform:

Roll Over Beethoven
From Me to You
I Saw Her Standing There
This Boy
All My Loving
I Wanna Be Your Man
Please Please Me
Till There Was You
She Loves You
I Want to Hold Your Hand
Twist and Shout