The artist has returned with a new track penned for Timothée Chalamet’s latest movie

Sampha has shared a new track titled ‘Treasure’, which forms part of the soundtrack of new movie Beautiful Boy, starring Timothée Chalamet.

Set against stripped back piano and rising strings, Sampha’s falsetto voice shines as he sings lyrics that hint at heartbreak – with chorus line “Because you’re, You’re my treasure,” shifting the atmosphere up a notch.

You can listen to the track below.

It’s the first output from the British singer since his debut album, ‘Process’, was released in 2017. Voted number 23 on NME’s albums of the year in 2017, ‘Process’ featured singles ‘Timmy’s Prayer’, ‘Blood on Me,’ and ballad ‘(No One Knows Me) Like the Piano.’

The singer went on to win the Mercury Prize in September 2017, fending off Alt-J, Blossoms, Stormzy and The XX to scoop the £25,000 prize.

Accepting the award, Sampha said that he felt like he was “dreaming” and went on to thank his parents. “I’d like to dedicate this award to my parents,” he said. “They came over from Sierra Leone and just wanted to give us the best life possible.”

The track comes as part of the soundtrack to Beautiful Boy, which is based on the best-selling memoirs of father and son David and Nick Sheff and saw it’s UK premier at the London Film Festival yesterday (13 October).

With Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet taking on the roles of David and Nick respectively, the plot follows teenage Nick as he falls into a crystal meth addiction that threatens his bright future – while David desperately tries to save his son.