The Yeah Yeah Yeahs singer has given the classic track an eerie, industrial update

Karen O has covered Smashing Pumpkins’ ‘Bullet With Butterfly Wings’ for the soundtrack of new Amazon Prime series, Hanna.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs singer’s take on the ‘Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness’ track is eerie with an industrial edge to it.

Smashing Pumpkins have given the cover their approval, calling the new version “beautiful”. You can listen to it below now.

It follows the release of ‘Anti-Lullaby’, a new solo song from O, which also features on the Hanna OST. The show is an adaptation of the 2011 film of the same name, which featured Saoirse Ronan in the titular role. It follows a young girl who is relentlessly pursued by the CIA after her ex-operative father teaches her to become a ruthless assassin.

Earlier this month, a release date for O’s collaborative album with Danger Mouse, ‘Lux Prima’, was confirmed. The record will be available on March 15 and will feature the new single ‘Woman’.

Meanwhile, the frontwoman revealed last year that Yeah Yeah Yeahs are looking forward to recording new music together, but were waiting for inspiration to strike. “A lot has changed in my life in the last 5 years and I’m just kinda waiting for the inspiration to hit me – and then we’ll go,” she told Apple Music’s Beats 1.

“I just feel like I’ve never really ‘pushed it’, just kinda waited for it to really feel like this overwhelming [thing].”

The band last released a record in 2013’s ‘Mosquito’. In a three-and-a-half-star review, NME said: “‘Mosquito’ tries to find a path forward for a more ‘mature’ Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It doesn’t get all the way there, but it will get into your blood all the same.”