Lily 'questions everything she ever knew about herself' in the new book

Lily Allen has announced a new tell-all memoir titled ‘My Thoughts Exactly’. It’ll consist of a collection of essays that explore her life, thoughts and opinions.

The book is described as ‘depicting a life of chaos’ in which Allen ‘depended on drink, drugs and sex to get through the days.’

Allen’s essays will explore her struggles of depending on love to forge an identity, and her dependence on music to help her find herself. It’s also set to include discussions of ‘feminism, the tabloids, money, faking orgasms, bad managers, fame, sexual abuse, mental health, narcissism, co-dependency, festivals, motherhood, stalking and parking tickets.’ You can see the cover for ‘My Thoughts Exactly’ below and pre-order it here.

Speaking of the memoir, Allen said: “Some of it I think might be uncomfortable and shocking and brutal. There will be good stuff in there too, happy times. I will try and make it funny.

“I know it’s about me but I hope that a lot of it will ring true with anyone who reads it,” she continued. “It won’t be written with shame. It will be true.”

Allen’s 2018 album ‘No Shame’ was recently shortlisted for the Mercury Music Prize. NME described the album as containing “some of her most candid songwriting,” adding that it’s “consistently gripping and very affecting.”

This year’s Mercury Music Prize judges included Clara Amfo – Broadcaster & DJ, broadcaster and writer Danielle Perry, Ella Eyre, Harriet Gibsone – Deputy Editor, The Guardian Guide, Jamie Cullum, Jeff Smith – Head of Music, 6 Music and Radio 2, Lianne La Havas, Marcus Mumford, Mike Walsh – Head of Music, Radio X, MistaJam – DJ & Broadcaster, Phil Alexander – Creative Director, Kerrang!/Contributing Editor, Mojo, Will Hodgkinson – Chief Rock & Pop Critic, The Times and the Chair of the judging panel Jeff Smith.