Lady Gaga has confirmed that she will be the first ever artist to perform in space.

The 'ARTPOP' singer confirmed recent reports that she will will sing one song from a Virgin Galactic ship in 2015 to be beamed to the Zero G Colony festival in New Mexico, while speaking to US Weekly.

Confirming the news prior to her 'artRave' performance at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in New York City on Sunday night (November 10), Gaga said: "I did not buy a ticket. No my ticket was given to me. I was asked specifically to sing. So I'm going to be the first recording artist to sing in space. And I did not purchase my flight. This is a special festival event held by Zero G Colony and I will be flying to space two months after the first commercial flights take off."

Pop Stars NME Would Like To Send Into Space

The three-day Zero G Colony event will take place at Spaceport America, with Gaga's performance happening on the final day of the festival at dawn.

Gaga's new album 'ARTPOP' was released yesterday (November 11). A string of tracks including the piano-led, Rick Rubin-produced ballad 'Dope', 'Mary Jane Holland', the R Kelly collaboration 'Do What U Want' and singles 'Applause' and Venus' were released prior to the album release.