The Korn frontman said his band, Deftones, and Limp Bizkit were some of the last of their kind

Jonathan Davis has said he thinks the time of “big, real rock bands” has “come and gone.”

The Korn frontman discussed his views on whether the rock scenes current names could replicate he and his peers’ achievements.

Appearing on The Jasta Show podcast, Davis was asked whether the big bands around now could impact on a smaller act’s career by giving them a cosign as much as they could in the past. “No, not to the same calibre as we could,” he replied.

“I’ve always said this last batch – Korn, Deftones, [Limp] Bizkit, all those bands from that time – that was the last guard of that time of the big, real rock bands. That time has come and gone. No one’s ever gonna do it like we ever did. No one’s ever gonna have that experience. It was larger than life. We were up against pop bands, dude.”

He continued to recall how other genres embraced the groups, saying: “I’m not trying to be arrogant or nothing, but it was like… us against the pop bands, us against the Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys, and then we were so embraced by the hip-hop community.

“When we played The Apollo, Puff Daddy was there, Busta Rhymes, Lil Kim, you name it. All the East Coast rappers came and it was really embraced by all of them. We did stuff with Dre, stuff with Snoop […] At that time, that crossover – I haven’t seen that, and I don’t think I’ll see it again.”

Meanwhile, in August, Korn returned to the studio to begin work on their next album. Drummer Ray Luzier posted a photo of himself behind a drum kit on Instagram, captioning the post: “Great day of tracking at Rock Falcon Studios.”

Previously, Davis has said the band were looking at a summer 2019 release for the follow-up to 2016’s ‘The Serenity Of Suffering‘. The new record will be Korn’s 12th studio album.