GQ's Man of the Year explains why he was walking through a Manhattan club a week after releasing that fiery verse.

Kendrick Lamar's verse on Big Sean's "Control" is still making headlines. The Compton rapper appears on one of GQ's annual Men of the Year covers and in the feature inside, he talks about dealing with the fallout from name-dropping the likes of Wale, J. Cole, Meek Mill and, of course, Drake.

As if that wasn't enough, K-Dot made the verse even more controversial by dropping the now-infamous "king of New York" line, which rubbed some Big Apple rappers the wrong way. So it was safe to say that going out to a VMA afterparty in NYC, just about two weeks after dropping the fiery bars would be a risky move. But that's just what Lamar, admittedly not a big partier, did when he landed in Brooklyn in late August.

Kendrick Lamar Is Locking In Ideas For His Next Album
"I only go when there's a point," Lamar told the mag about attending Diddy's party at Manhattan's Dream Hotel (where the Bad Boy mogul and J. Cole reportedly got into a scuffle). "Usually, the point is just n---as drinking. But walking through the club the week after I released the 'Control' verse? That's a point."

When GQ later asked Kendrick about the bash he responded: "It was all love at that party."

The magazine was also on-hand as K-Dot and Drake bumped into each other backstage at the VMAs in Brooklyn's Barclays Center, and said the two rappers hugged. "Pretty cool," is how the Black Hippy MC described his relationship with the Young Money star to GQ, though he made sure to message that he'd be OK if they weren't.

Dot went on to speak on the death of his close neighborhood friend Chad Keaton and adjusting to fame. He also confirmed that he plans to start recording his second major label album sometime in January.

"[I'm] letting the inspiration come for sure," Kendrick told MTV News about his good kid, m.A.A.d. city follow-up. "If I knock myself into the wall, I'll probably be out the game for a minute because it's stressful trying to be creative rather than letting creativity come to you and being inspired by something."

Justin Timberlake, Matthew McConaughey, Will Ferrell and the late James Gandolfini all grace their own individual Men of the Year cover, which hits newsstands this month.