"People may misunderstand you if you don't love a person of the same gender, if they don't understand why you're quiet, if you're sensitive or a bit strange. We can gather in this world and be outcasts together"

AURORA has declared that her single ‘Queendom’ was written in tribute to ‘underdogs and the people who are not getting the respect they deserve’.

Taken from the Norwegian artist’s surprise new album ‘Infections Of A Different Kind Step 1‘, the song originated from a conversation with her friends about the change that they wanted to see in the world.

“We talked about the world today and how much we’d like to change if it was our world and you were some kind of God in a different universe,” AURORA told NME. “The term ‘Queendom’ came up because we don’t really hear that a lot.”

She continued: “I just wrote about all the things I would change and that I’m passionate about – introverts, underdogs and the people who are not getting the respect that they deserve; the ones that don’t get heard because they are looked upon as ‘weaker’ than the ones who speak louder. That’s the basic inspiration behind ‘Queendom’.”

Speaking about her own experience of feeling like an outsider, AURORA added: “I wanted it to be about all of us misunderstood people. I’ve been misunderstood a lot.

“People may misunderstand you if you don’t love a person of the same gender, if they don’t understand why you’re quiet, if you’re sensitive or a bit strange. We can gather in this world and be outcasts together in my Queendom.”

Asked about the dramatic and expressive video, filmed in ‘a very cold house in Prague’, AURORA said that she wanted the video to reflect a feeling a feeling of freedom and ‘the beautiful expression’ of dancing.

“I just wanted it to be really beautiful, really peaceful,” she continued. “I wanted to have these people with me, I wanted to kiss a woman, I wanted them all to touch. In all the choreography we are always touching each other. It’s a way of saying that we are always connected. We are on organism with many souls. That’s another message behind the song.”

‘Infections Of A Different Kind Step 1’ by AURORA is out now.