It's the highest amount raised by the festival in its history

Glastonbury raised more than £3 million from the last edition of the festival to give to good causes.

Each year, the Worthy Farm event raises funds for charities including Oxfam and Greenpeace. Organisers have been donating money made at the festival to charities and organisations they support since the 1980s.

The funds raised from the 2017 edition mark the first time that the festival has raised more than £3 million. In a statement, Michael and Emily Eavis confirmed that £2.35 million was given to their three “main supported organisations”, Oxfam, Greenpeace, and WaterAid.

“In addition, more than £750,000 was distributed between hundreds of worthy causes, both local and national, including schools, sports groups, CND groups, carnival clubs etc,” they said. “We’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who contributed by coming to the 2017 festival and to all the incredible volunteers whose support and time makes these donations possible.”

Glastonbury will return this June after a fallow year in 2018. The festival takes place from June 26-30 in its usual setting of Worthy Farm.

Only one headliner for this year’s event has been confirmed so far: Stormzy.

Discussing his booking, which some have criticised for being too soon in his career, Emily Eavis said: “I came up with [the idea] because I watched him on The Other Stage in 2017 and I was just like, ‘he could headline’…sometimes, you just see that performance what makes you think ‘he is ready to go’, sometimes it happens [like that]. I just felt like this is the time for Stormzy to headline.”

The grime MC responded to his critics, saying: “I feel like I have so much to prove, but at the end of the day, I’m Stormzy – and I’m meant to be here. This is the biggest moment. The biggest stage, the biggest all-eyes-on-me kind of spotlight in my career, ever. But if you are waiting for the headliner to give you the Glastonbury headline-calibre performance, then have no fear, calm down, settle.”

Other acts already confirmed for Glastonbury 2019 include Kylie Minogue, who appears in the “legends” spot, and Janelle Monáe, who headlines the West Holts stage.