The film is described as an "uncensored human story"

The first official photo from the Elton John biopic Rocketman has been released, showing Welsh actor Taron Egerton in some of the singer’s trademark get-up.

Dressed in a gold bomber jacket and blue, red and gold winged boots, the actor is also seen sporting some glittery sunglasses and John’s red hair.

The Rocketman Twitter account shared the official photo, captioning it: “TaronEgerton stars in Rocketman, an epic musical fantasy about the uncensored human story of Sir Elton John’s breakthrough years. Experience it in theatres Summer 2019.”

The film was announced back in 2011. It’s scripted by Billy Elliot author Lee Hall and is billed as a “larger than life movie musical spectacle that tells the story of a child prodigy turned music legend”. Dexter Fletcher, who worked on the Eddie The Eagle biopic with Egerton, will direct the movie.

Tom Hardy originally took up the lead role for the long awaited movie in 2013 but he eventually pulled out after he struggled with the singing in the film.

“I’m not a singer. I have no idea really. I’m really trying because of Rocketman but it’s hard to open my mouth in that way,” he said at the time.

John will serve as an executive producer on the biopic and is planning to “re-record many of his iconic hits to parallel the emotional beats of the film”.

Earlier this month, Elton John announced the first UK dates of his ‘Farewell Yellow Brick Road’ tour.

Check out the dates below, including two shows in Ireland.

Sun June 09 2019 – HOVE Central County Ground
Wed June 12 2019 – DUBLIN 3Arena
Thu June 13 2019 – DUBLIN 3Arena
Sat June 15 2019 – CARDIFF City Stadium

“I am very happy to announce the launch of my UK Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour with concerts in Hove and Cardiff”, Elton said of the shows.

“The audiences in the South Coast and Wales have always been some of the most welcoming and exciting I have played in front of over the past forty-two years and the band and I are so excited to say goodbye in the most fantastic way. It’s going to be amazing!”