'It is a disorder that always lurks in the shadows'

Fever Ray has cancelled her upcoming tour dates to “restore her health” amid a battle with anxiety and panic attacks.

Former The Knife vocalist Karin Dreijer, who released one of the best albums of 2017 with ‘Plunge’, was due to play a headline show at the O2 Academy Brixton in November as well as calling at Manchester International Festival, Iceland Airwaves and Pitchfork Paris.

Now however, she has issued a statement to fans to discuss her mental health.

“Many of you know already that I’ve been struggling with general anxiety and panic attacks for a long time,” wrote Dreijer. “For seven years I did not enter the stage, for five years I did not enter an airplane. It is a disorder that always lurks in the shadows that I have had to work carefully with and around, and that I never really know when it will strike or how much it will affect me.

“I am very thankful for the past seven months, that I have been able to tour and to meet you wonderful and amazing people. The last month though has been rough and my anxiety has started to escalate. I will now have to take a break from touring to take care of myself and restore my health. We are canceling the forthcoming shows this autumn.”

She added: “It is a difficult decision because I love my band and my crew, and I am so grateful for the love we have received from all of you while when doing this show. Hope to see you soon.”