"Today could have been one of the worst days of my life..."

Demi Lovato‘s sister has hailed the singer’s medical team on her birthday, after they successfully treated her last month for a suspected overdose.

Posting on Instagram, Madison De La Garza marked the singer’s 26th birthday by sharing a throwback snap of the pair together.

“Today could have been one of the worst days of my life,” De La Garza captioned the photo.

“But instead I get to spend it thanking God, the incredible doctors, Demi’s team, and everyone across the world who offered their support – without all of these people I wouldn’t have my big sister anymore.”

She added: “‘I’ve been thinking about how I wish that everyone could see the silly little things that she does, like how her nostrils move when she says certain words and when she brushes my hair behind my ear when I’m trying to sleep, because those are the things I’m thankful for today.

“They seem so small, but those little things make up my sister – not a singer, not a celebrity, and definitely not what she’s been described as in the media – she’s a daughter, a friend, and my big sister… and i am so, so thankful that i can tell her happy birthday.”

The sentiment was echoed in a separate post by Lovato’s mother Dianna De La Garza.

Earlier this month, Lovato checked into a rehabilitation facility after her release from hospital.

According to People, the star was released from Los Angeles’ Cedars-Sinai Hospital on August 4 and was moved to an unnamed in-patient facility.

A source told the magazine: “Demi left the hospital over the weekend. She will get continued care at an in-patient rehab facility. At the hospital, she was surrounded by family and friends that support her sobriety. They all want Demi to be the best she can. […] She has a long journey ahead, but with all the love, her journey could absolutely be a positive one.”