"When they chase down the dollar instead of having the feelings of the loved ones in mind, that’s when I have to say something.”

Jane’s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro has spoken out against a new documentary about the murder of his mother.

His mother, Constance Colleen Hopkins, was murdered by her ex-boyfriend John Riccardi in March 1983. He discussed her death and his own subsequent spiral into drug addiction in the 2015 documentary, Mourning Son.

Now, the rock veteran has taken issue with documentary maker Geraldo Rivera for running an episode of Murder In The Family about the incident, especially after he refused to take part.

“I find it really disappointing that Geraldo Rivera’s new show would ask me to participate in an episode about the tragedies in my life and when I said no, they decided to run it anyway with inaccurate facts and total abandon for the triggering effect a program of this nature could have on the families,” wrote Navarro in a since-deleted Instagram post.

“I understand that true crime is a big moneymaker, in fact I am a fan of programs such as this, but when they chase down the dollar instead of having the feelings of the loved ones in mind, that’s when I have to say something.”

He continued: “I’m personally ok as I have told this story myself in my documentary #MourningSon but this is an opportunity to stand up for the other families that don’t get a choice whether or not they have their stories told to millions without their consent!”

“As for the article that is posted – I did NOT find a body and I did NOT turns to drugs after this event. To say so, would do a great disservice to those who have lost loved ones and not turned to self medicating. I was well in my way to using drugs even before this took place.”

Riccardi is yet to respond to Navarro’s claims.

Earlier this year, Navarro shared a message with fans about his past battles with depression and suicidal thoughts – urging others to speak out and seek help if they’re struggling.

“I can’t speak to anyone else’s thoughts or actions but I can speak from my own experience,” Navarro wrote on Instagram. “I have been there, written “the note”, had the plan, the stockpile of meds, how to disperse my property among my family. I was ready to go. Luckily, as a last ditched effort, I reached out. I spoke to my closest friends and loved ones. I sought therapy and at times, psychiatry, alternative medicines, even hospitalisation. Whatever it took. What I learned is that through the process, circumstances and feelings shift.”

“As the tide comes in and rolls out, the universe takes many shapes and constantly evolves. We are made of the same stuff. We are constantly changing and evolving and flowing… sometimes scary, sometimes beautiful, sometimes lonely, sometimes supported. Hang in there to allow the process and the shapes to change. I can tell you 100% that they do.”

Navarro added: “Please reach out if you find yourself in the darkness. There is no darkness without light. Try to be willing to let it find you.”