Elephants on Acid' will be released on September 28

Cypress Hill have today (August 3) announced their return by unveiling new single ‘Band Of Gypsies’, taken from ‘Elephants On Acid’ – their first album in eight years. The album will be released on September 28.

The group have also announced a string of UK tour dates in the winter and will visit Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham and London in November and December.

Speaking to NME about the new album, Sen Dog said: “We wanted to achieve something new, and make something different from the last album. Not that we hated the last album, but we wanted something with a heavy Cypress vibe on it and we achieved that! It’s a pure Cypress Hill album from start to end.”

With DJ Muggs at the helm, ‘Elephants On Acid’ is the first album he has produced since 2004’s ‘Til Death Do Us Part.’ Speaking about the album, Sen Dog added: “anything can happen when Muggs, B-Real and myself get together. We’ve grown up as men now, but the chemistry is still the same.”

He continued: “When we came out in the nineties, we sounded like nobody else; we sounded like ourselves. This is another continuations.”

Asked by NME about the title of the album, Sen Dog revealed that DJ Muggs came up with the name.

“The name Elephants on Acid, DJ Muggs came up with that name. I know what it means for me, but it might mean something different to everyone else. To me, Elephants on Acid is the ability to be weird and to be strange with music. It’s not following the same cycle of whatever is hot at the same time.”

Muggs also revealed that he started collecting ideas for the album in 2013 after dreaming about an out of body experience of a man with an elephant head. Crafting beats globally, Muggs travelled far and wide, recording in Egypt, Jordan and the Joshua Tree.

Meanwhile, B-Real from the group described the new album as “both a trip back to the roots and an escape into a completely new world.”

When asked about the delay between albums, Sen Dog added: “With this one, we were being very cautious with the steps that we took and other projects came up – people started doing other things.”

“Overall, I think we were just being cautious – we wanted to make sure it’s an accurate representation of what Cypress Hill is. We wrote a lot of songs too. Shit happens sometimes, it takes a long time!”

The track listing of the new album is as follows:

Tusko (Intro)
Band of Gypsies
Put Em in the Ground
Satao (Interval)
Jesus Was a Stoner
Pass the Knife
LSD (Interval)
Oh Na Na
Holy Mountain (Interval)
Locos
Falling Down