“I’m never going to search for anyone’s acceptance"

Brockhampton‘s Kevin Abstract has discussed being championed as a queer icon within the group’s fan base – saying that he hopes his music can speak to a wider range of people.

The California outfit released their new record ‘Iridescence‘ last week (September 21). It’s the follow-up to their third LP, ‘SATURATION III’, which came out in December last year.

Now, in a new interview with Shortlist, Abstract has opened up about being defined by his sexuality.

“I don’t want to be a queer icon,” the frontman told the publication. “I want to be an icon.

“In order to make a change, I have to exist in a traditionally homophobic space such as hip-hop. If I were to just be this queer rapper, who only spoke to queer kids… I don’t think I could as effectively make a change for another young, black queer kid growing up in Texas.”

Dom McLennon added that this outlook is “one of the most inspiring things” about Abstract. “One of the most enlightening and profound things I’ve learned from you is watching you make the effort to normalise your experience,” he said.

“I’m never going to search for anyone’s acceptance,” Abstract responded. “I’m just going to be me, and people are eventually going to have to accept it.”

Meanwhile, Brockhampton released the official video for ‘J’OUVERT’ last week. Directed by Spencer Ford and shot entirely on an infrared thermographic camera, the resulting effect makes for a trippy watch as members of the self-appointed boy band rap and sing along to the track.