Police were called to his home in Walthamstow

Former East 17 singer Brian Harvey has been arrested and hospitalised after threatening to self-harm during a YouTube live stream.

Police say they visited Harvey’s home in Walthamstow, east London yesterday (March 21), after becoming alerted to “a man threatening to take his own life”.

According to The Mirror, the video saw Harvey discussing his apparent financial troubles and asking Prime Minister Theresa May for a meeting.

The video sparked immediate concern for Harvey’s welfare, prompting police to visit his home.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed in a statement: “At approximately 18:09 on Thursday, 21 March police were alerted to man threatening self-harm. Officers subsequently attended an address in Walthamstow to complete a welfare check.

“A man in his 40s was arrested on suspicion of malicious communications. Following a mental health assessment at hospital, the man has been taken into police custody where he remains. He did not suffer any injuries.”

Harvey’s ex-girlfriend Danniella Westbrook also voiced her concern on Twitter.

The actress tweeted: “I’m in rehab just come out of a AA meeting been hospital all day myself I really hope this is a hoax as if it’s not my heart will be broken…

“Brian is a good good man and if this is true I hope he gets the help he needs. please dm me…”

Harvey enjoyed chart success with East 17 in the mid to late-90s, scoring hits like ‘Stay Another Day’ and ‘House of Love’. Following numerous reunions with the band, the singer last parted ways with East 17 in 2010.

He was arrested in 2017 on suspicion of sending malicious tweets.

In 2015, Harvey spoke about his history of mental illness and depression.

He said: “We need a walk-in centre specifically designed for when, in the middle of the night, someone thinks ‘I am going to hang myself’ or ‘I am going to a forest and jump out of a tree with a noose around my neck’, because I have thought of all these things. Desperation takes over.”