89372.jpg

Justin Bieber believes you have to 'own up to the mistakes'.

The 21-year-old developed a reputation for being a bit of a bad boy in recent years, having had a number of run ins with the law for issues including egg throwing and DUI. But in the last few months, the Baby singer has realised the error of his ways, and is now mortified by his former behaviour.

'I was rebelling a little bit. I was getting cockier and cockier. I didn't have people to check me," he told Seventeen magazine. "I looked back and I was disappointed in myself. You have to own up to the mistakes. You have to say, 'I'm sorry if I've let you down,' ".

Justin has publicly apologised on a number of occasions in recent months. It has given him time to realise that honesty really is the best policy in life.

'I always want to be honest and let people know that those mistakes aren't who I am. Who I am is someone who really cares about people,' he said. 'I need healthy relationships with people I can feel safe with. People I can say whatever to, and I'm not going to be judged."

As well as strong professional relationships, Justin also wants to build a solid foundation with the right girl. The star has had an on-off relationship with fellow singer Selena Gomez in recent years as well as being linked to model Kendall Jenner. But it seems Justin has it clear in his mind exactly what he is looking for in a partner.

'In a girl, I want someone whos confident in herself and honest," he added. "I have to find her very attractive and as someone I can see myself with for the rest of my life."