Arctic Monkeys nearly named their new album 'The New Black', Alex Turner has revealed.

The album, which this week was crowned NME's Best Album of 2013, was eventually titled 'AM' . However, discussing the origins of the album in this week's NME, which is available digitally and on newsstands now, Turner reveals how he very nearly named the album after a guitar amp the band were using during the recording process.

"I got this old Rickenbacker thing that we recorded a lot through," he says. "There's no knobs, just two holes. And this little black amp that became known as The New Black. Crossed me mind to call the album that. "

Released in September, 'AM' is Arctic Monkeys fifth album and features the singles 'Do I Wanna Know', 'R U Mine?' and 'Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?'.

The album finished ahead of Kanye West's 'Yeezus' in the NME's Albums of the Year poll with the rapper's new album finishing second, narrowly ahead of Queens Of The Stone Age's '... Like Clockwork', which finishes third.