The comedian also says that she is boycotting the event in support of Colin Kaepernick

Amy Schumer has called for Maroon 5 to pull out of their Super Bowl Halftime Show after Rihanna turned down an offer to perform at the event.

On Friday (October 19), it was reported that the ‘Anti’ pop star had declined the chance to headline in a show of solidarity with Colin Kaepernick. The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback was the first NFL player to take a knee in protest against police brutality in 2016.

According to Entertainment Tonight, the singer was previously the “front-runner” for next February’s show.

With Maroon 5 reportedly taking the slot, comedian Amy Schumer has shared a message calling for the group to reconsider – while offering her own views on the issue.

“I wonder why more white players aren’t kneeling,” Schumer said on Instagram. “Once you witness the truly deep inequality and endless racism people of color face in our country, not to mention the police brutality and murders. Why not kneel next to your brothers? Otherwise how are you not complicit?

“I think it would be cool if @maroon5 backed out of super bowl like @badgalriri did.”

Schumer added that she has told her representatives she won’t appear in any Super Bowl commercial. “I know it must sound like a privilege ass sacrifice but it’s all I got,” she said. “Hitting the NFL with the advertisers is the only way to really hurt them.

“I know opposing the NFL is like opposing the NRA. Very tough, but don’t you want to be proud of how you’re living? Stand up for your brothers and sisters of color. And the hottest thing a guy can do is get down on one knee. Not to propose but to reject the treatment of his teammates by this country.”

Schumer concluded: “Anyone who says it’s disrespectful to our military please read up on the fact that a lot of veterans are proud of what Colin Kaepernick is doing and fully support him. What are your thoughts?”

Maroon 5 have not yet responded to Schumer’s post.

The 2019 Super Bowl will be played at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia on February 3, 2019.

In other news, Amy Schumer was arrested recently while protesting Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination. The comedian joined hundreds of protesters in Washington DC in a demonstration against President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court choice.