It's their first new material since 2017 LP 'AFI (The Blood Album)'

AFI have released a new song called ‘Get Dark’ that will feature on a brand new EP titled ‘The Missing Man’.

The California four-piece, who formed in 1991, last released their self-titled 10th album (known to fans as ‘The Blood Album’) in 2017.

The first taste of the new EP comes from ‘Get Dark’ – a raucous, brooding track that ploughs through with distorted power chords. You can listen to it below.

According to an iTunes description, the EP will arrive on December 7. You can see the full tracklisting below.

‘The Missing Man’:

1. Trash Bat
2. Break Angels
3. Back Into The Sun
4. Get Dark
5. The Missing Man

Speaking of their longevity and close relationship with their fans, frontman Davey Havok said it was all down to ‘truth and honesty.’

“I don’t know if there is a singular misconception about us,” Havok told NME. “There are so many different rumours about us as people, as a band, and personally, that are polarised.”

He continued: “There have been rumours about me for many, many years. I’ve overdosed and died many times, I’ve been a junkie, I’ve been violent and militant straight-edge, I’ve been the kindest person in the world, I’ve been a completely appalling horrible person, Christian, Satanist, the gamut. All of it is there, but I don’t really get involved in any of that because it doesn’t matter.”

Asked about the identity of their famous loyal fanbase, Havok said: “They’re wildly varied, but was does distinguish them is how dedicated they are and how passionate they are about what we create.

“It’s very flattering and gratifying and we’re very lucky to have that and we’re very appreciative of it. People have asked over the years ‘where does that come from?’ I can’t really say, but I do feel that they can sense the truth in what we create. We’re very honest in our writing and that appeals to them. They somehow connect or relate to it.

He added: “It’s such a great feeling to be able to reach people and have that profound an impact on them where they’re moved to either simply come see us or get our imagery of my lyrics tattooed on them or create, paint or form bands based on some kind of inspiration from us.”