There's a lot of speculation at the moment about the possibility that both Microsoft and Sony will be launching hardware update for their currently available home consoles, but it seems that at least one of the two companies does not want incremental improvements but big leaps in terms of power.

Phil Spencer, the leader of the Xbox division, is quoted by Gamespot as explaining during the Build 2016 event that a potential Xbox One and a half platform is not very interesting to his team.
He adds, "I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers. For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it's reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people - an upgrade."
Phil Spencer has also made it clear that he has no information about the plans that Sony currently has for the future of the PlayStation 4.
His statements can be taken as a sign that Microsoft is actively working on a big hardware update for the Xbox One but will only announce one if the difference of capabilities, when compared to the currently offered device, is significant.
PlayStation 4K might arrive before year's end Sony has not made an official announcement about its own plans for the future of the PS4, but multiple sources and reports are saying that an upgrade will introduce the ability to play video games in 4K resolution and better support for the coming PlayStation VR.
It seems that the new home console will have double the power of the graphics processing unit and a number of improvements when it comes to the CPU.
Both Microsoft and Sony are probably watching each other to see which one makes the first official announcement about an upgraded version of its hardware because new devices with new price points have the potential to shake-up the sales race.
It seems that the PlayStation 4k will be sold for 499 dollars or Euro and that a version that also features PlayStation VR might also be revealed before the end of the year.
Sony says it has managed to move more than 36 million PS4s to customers, and third-party reports say that the Xbox One is around the 20 million in sales mark.