Will Smith recently gave his reaction to the fate of his character, Colonel Steven Hiller, in the sequel to Independence Day.

Speaking with Yahoo, Smith appears to have had to skip Independence Day: Resurgence because of his commitment to Suicide Squad and was upset when he found out about the fate of his character.

Spoilers ahead.

“I was working on Suicide Squad at the time,” the actor said. “[Independence Day director] Roland [Emmerich] and I had talked about it. The trailer looks really cool. I’m going to be sitting around with tears in my eyes when that one comes out. It was terrible when I found out my character died.”

Smith is referring to an official "viral" site for Independence Day: Resurgence that revealed Col. Steven Hiller died while test piloting an alien hybrid fighter jet and that he was survived by his wife Jasmine and son Dylan.

He is the only major player to not return to the sequel as Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, and Vivica A. Fox will be back to battle aliens once more with new blood Jessie Usher (playing a grown up Dylan), Liam Hemsworth, and Maika Monroe. Last year, it was confirmed Smith would not be returning to the sequel, which went from being a trilogy to a duology for now.

Independence Day: Resurgence hits theaters on June 24, 2016.