A new service called UnSpoil Me, developed by Samsung Electronics Nordic, claims to allow users to hypnotize themselves into forgetting ruinous spoilers for their favorite TV shows and most anticipated movies. “Spoilers,” in this case, refers to having major plot beats of twists revealed before seeing a movie or TV show, thereby taking away the thrill of those reveals as part of the viewing experience.

In an age of omnipresent social media, spoilers are harder to avoid than ever – requiring strict spoilerphobes to avoid checking Facebook or Twitter until they have a chance to see the latest Star Wars movie. But short of living the life of a hermit, it’s impossible to completely guard against the risk of spoilers.

Samsung Electronics Nordic claims to have the solution to this problem, and is now offering it to digital subscribers in some parts of Europe. Their new UnSpoil Me service reportedly allows users to digitally hypnotize themselves into forgetting the details of television series or films – in part or in entirety. UnSpoil Me was developed in conjunction with famous hypnotist and mental coach Fredrik Praesto. Each digital session lasts for about twenty minutes, and the viewer is able to guide themselves through the process by following a series of on-screen prompts.

Under self hypnosis we can take control of unconscious processes. This can be very effective in creating mental changes in a person which the conscious logical mind can not achieve,” says Praesto. “Throughout history, hypnosis has been used to forget things, often for therapeutic purposes. With UnSpoil Me, we can use this to create new experiences instead.”

While the goals of Unspoil Me are laudable, the practicality of such a service is debatable. It seems a frivolous thing to use a therapeutic tool such as hypnosis merely because some friend thoughtlessly told you what happened in the season finale of Game of Thrones. It also seems unlikely, even under Praesto’s guidance, that something requiring a fine, personal touch could be administered electronically.

On the other hand, executed properly, such a service would eliminate many social headaches. Furthermore, the chances of this technology sparking a mental breakdown a la Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind seem remote. This may be an experimental first step but someday soon the dream of being able to watch your favorite movie like you were watching it for the first time may be a reality.