Tom Hiddleston has confessed that he would like to see a spin-off of the Thor franchise featuring his character Loki in the main role.

The actor, who returns to the big screen in the role in Thor: The Dark World this week, said there were no official plans for a film based around his popular villain, but he would be interested in a standalone movie.

He said he would like to see Loki transposed from the Nine Realms to Earth, telling Collider: "I'd love to see him out of context, on Earth in the '70s running a nightclub, playing lots of Rolling Stones. Who knows?

"The idea of there being a Loki solo film is such a compliment but I can officially tell you that there is no movement on it. "I'd have to have a big brainstorm with [producer] Kevin Feige about it, if it ever came around."

Thor: The Dark World will premiere on Tuesday night at the Odeon in Leicester Square.

It reunites Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins in their roles from the 2011 Thor film.

There are also new roles for Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Zachary Levi and Clive Russell.

Tom added: "I've made three films with Loki in that I'm proud of, and if it ends there, that's where it ends."

Thor: The Dark World will be released on October 30 in the UK and November 8 in the US.