STRICTLY fans were left confused tonight as Bruno Tonioli was replaced on the show by Alfonso Ribeiro.

The Italian judge, 62, confirmed he would not be on the judging panel tonight during last week's show.

Instead, Fresh Prince of Bel Air star - and Dancing with the Stars series 19 champion - Alfonso joined judges Shirley Ballas, Craig Revel Horwood and Darcey Bussell on the panel for week five.

This is because Bruno is appearing on the panel across the pond on the US equivalent.

Last year, Bruno missed a week of filming for the first time in 15 years, and the producers chose not to replace him.

But this year they decided to bring Alfonso - who played Carlton Banks in the hit comedy alongside Will Smith - over to stand in for him.

A source close to the show previously said: "Everyone is excited to have Alfonso on the judging panel.

"He will bring great energy to show following his winning appearance on Dancing with The Stars."

However, some viewers were still surprised and a little confused to see Alfonso - who won Dancing with the Stars in 2014 - sitting in Bruno's seat.

Taking to Twitter, one wrote: "Where's Bruno gone?"

Another added: "What happened to Bruno? #strictly" while a third tweeted: "Omg where is Bruno? I miss him already".

Speaking on Friday's spin-off show It Takes Two, Alfonso revealed he would be a different type of judge to Bruno.

He said: "I'm going to speak from the heart, I'm not going to try to rhyme.

"There's not going to be a lot of arms flailing… Look, [Bruno] is Italian. I get it. He speaks with his hands!

"I'm a brother from America so I'm gonna be kinda chill."

Bruno will be back in time for the Strictly Halloween Special next week.