ONE of the strengths of House of Cards over its run has been the quality of the supporting characters.

Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali’s Remy Danton, Kata Mara’s Zoe Barnes, Joel Kinnaman’s Will Conway, Corey Stoll’s Peter Russo, Reg E Cathey’s Freddy, Rachel Brosnahan’s Rachel Posner and, of course, Michael Kelly’s Doug Stamper, have all held their own against Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright’s Francis and Claire Underwood.

Many could be worthy of their own spin-off series.

However, Daniel Minahan, who was executive producer of the fifth season of the show, has named the two characters who are likely to be given their own shows.

“I don’t want to get into trouble but I kind of feel that Boris McGiver who plays the journalist Tom Hammerschmidt at the Washington Herald will be the most likely spin off character, he is one of the most wonderful actors they have there,” he told the Daily Mail.

Mr Minahan also suggested that Doug Stamper, Frank Underwood’s sinister fixer who is played by Michael Kelly, could make a similar spin-off success.

“Michael Kelly created an amazing character. I would be happy to work with Michael and Boris,” he said.

Mr Minahan has directed a number of hit shows, including True Blood, Game of Thrones, Grey’s Anatomy and Six Feet Under.

The final season will see Robin Wright’s Claire Underwood take over as US president with Spacey not returning in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations.