Robert Downey Jr.’s latest film The Judge hits theaters this week and so the star is making the rounds to promote the release. And at every radio show and TV appearance along the way, RDJ must talk about what’s next for him in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After Iron Man 3 brought in a $1.2 billion+ haul at the worldwide box office everyone wants to know - when is Iron Man 4 going to happen?

On The Ellen DeGeneres Show yesterday, Ellen pressured Downey Jr. into jokingly saying “yes” in response to whether or not he’d be making Iron Man 4, after revealing he was indeed in negotiations for something with Marvel. When David Letterman did the same last night on his Late Show, Downey clarified, reiterating what we already know – that Iron Man 4 is not currently in the works and that there is no script. He followed up by saying his future could be in “other things” within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which leads us to believe that Robert Downey Jr. is in talks to sign up for more films (in addition to The Avengers 2 & 3 that he already signed for), but perhaps not another solo adventure.

That could simply mean The Avengers 4 and beyond; or, if there’s truth to the latest Marvel movie rumors, that he could be in other (even bigger) crossover event movies after The Avengers 3. There’s also the possibility Robert Downey Jr. could embrace a long-term plan to play a background character and that’d be a smart way (and cheaper for Marvel) to keep RDJ involved in a background/supporting role, perhaps leading S.H.I.E.L.D. without the hefty time commitment. As we mentioned previously on the site, we’d love to see Tony Stark join up with the Guardians of the Galaxy for a space-based adventure (like the character does in the latest Marvel Comics incarnation of the team).

Captain America Carrying Iron Man Marvel Comics Robert Downey Jr. Downplays Iron Man 4 Rumors; Hints at Other Marvel Films

To recap: no Iron Man 4 in the works (currently), but Robert Downey Jr. is currently in negotiations to extend his contract with Marvel Studios to likely appear in other projects. For at least he second time this week, Downey Jr. also hinted that Marvel is planning to announce some of their future plans “soon.” Their TV division will have a presence at New York Comic-Con this weekend for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Daredevil, but we don’t expect major movie announcements there.

In other RDJ news, the highest paid Hollywood star hosted his first Reddit AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) session yesterday where he answered a lot of fun fan questions, as well as a few about Marvel. His current favorite hero is Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) because his son likes him the best and he said he’d be game for a cameo on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

More: Jeremy Renner’s Marvel Movie Contract

The Avengers: Age of Ultron releases in theaters on May 1, 2015, followed by Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on July 28, 2017, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017, November 3 2017, July 6 2018, November 2 2018 and May 3 2019.

Robert Downey Jr.’s latest film The Judge hits theaters this week and so the star is making the rounds to promote the release. And at every radio show and TV appearance along the way, RDJ must talk about what’s next for him in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After Iron Man 3 brought in a $1.2 billion+ haul at the worldwide box office everyone wants to know - when is Iron Man 4 going to happen?

On The Ellen DeGeneres Show yesterday, Ellen pressured Downey Jr. into jokingly saying “yes” in response to whether or not he’d be making Iron Man 4, after revealing he was indeed in negotiations for something with Marvel. When David Letterman did the same last night on his Late Show, Downey clarified, reiterating what we already know – that Iron Man 4 is not currently in the works and that there is no script. He followed up by saying his future could be in “other things” within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which leads us to believe that Robert Downey Jr. is in talks to sign up for more films (in addition to The Avengers 2 & 3 that he already signed for), but perhaps not another solo adventure.

That could simply mean The Avengers 4 and beyond; or, if there’s truth to the latest Marvel movie rumors, that he could be in other (even bigger) crossover event movies after The Avengers 3. There’s also the possibility Robert Downey Jr. could embrace a long-term plan to play a background character and that’d be a smart way (and cheaper for Marvel) to keep RDJ involved in a background/supporting role, perhaps leading S.H.I.E.L.D. without the hefty time commitment. As we mentioned previously on the site, we’d love to see Tony Stark join up with the Guardians of the Galaxy for a space-based adventure (like the character does in the latest Marvel Comics incarnation of the team).

Captain America Carrying Iron Man Marvel Comics Robert Downey Jr. Downplays Iron Man 4 Rumors; Hints at Other Marvel Films

To recap: no Iron Man 4 in the works (currently), but Robert Downey Jr. is currently in negotiations to extend his contract with Marvel Studios to likely appear in other projects. For at least he second time this week, Downey Jr. also hinted that Marvel is planning to announce some of their future plans “soon.” Their TV division will have a presence at New York Comic-Con this weekend for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Daredevil, but we don’t expect major movie announcements there.

In other RDJ news, the highest paid Hollywood star hosted his first Reddit AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) session yesterday where he answered a lot of fun fan questions, as well as a few about Marvel. His current favorite hero is Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) because his son likes him the best and he said he’d be game for a cameo on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

The Avengers: Age of Ultron releases in theaters on May 1, 2015, followed by Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on July 28, 2017, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017, November 3 2017, July 6 2018, November 2 2018 and May 3 2019.