"I’ve always been fascinated by the First World War due to my own family history and the Centenary felt like a unique opportunity to make a personal contribution to the commemoration," he says.

Director Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit) is making a documentary film about World War I that will premiere at the London Film Festival and also air on the BBC.

The documentary, which doesn't have a title yet, will use original, archive footage from Britain's Imperial War Museum archive and audio from the BBC archives.

"The film will be broadcast on BBC One following a U.K.-wide premiere as part of the BFI London Film Festival in 2018," the filmmaker and his partners said Monday in unveiling the project. "The BBC will accompany the film with a ‘making-of’ documentary with behind-the-scenes footage, interviews with Peter Jackson and an in-depth look at the creative and technical process behind the work."

"I’ve always been fascinated by the First World War due to my own family history and the Centenary felt like a unique opportunity to make a personal contribution to the commemoration," Jackson said. "I wanted to find a way to bring new life to the stories of ordinary people living through extraordinary times."