Michael B. Jordan is open to returning as Killmonger in Black Panther 2. One of the common criticisms Marvel Cinematic Universe movies tend to receive is having a lack of strong and compelling villains. After years of that complaint (which almost comes by design as Marvel wants to keep the focus on the heroes), there's been a noticeable shift as of late. Following a few noteworthy villains, director Ryan Coogler stepped up to the plate with Black Panther to deliver arguably the best MCU villain to date, thanks in no small part to Jordan's portrayal.

As Erik Killmonger, Jordan captivated audiences worldwide thanks to a devastating backstory and clear motivations. To the possible disappointment of some, though, Jordan joined the ranks of MCU villains to die after just one appearance. Despite being stabbed in the chest and T'Challa seemingly granting Killmonger's request to let him die, Jordan isn't to completely step away.

Jordan was asked about a potential return to the MCU and reprising his role as Killmonger in a recent interview with MTV. Because of how big of a fan he is and his great experience with Black Panther, Jordan isn't discounting a return at some point - even if it looked to be very clear that Killmonger was gone.

"I mean, I'm a fan, as you said, of Marvel, of comic books, everybody knows that. So I mean if there was ever an opportunity for me to come back and like join this universe and work with like Joe Russo, Kevin Feige, Victoria [Alonso], and everyone over there at Marvel, re-team with Ryan [Coogler] you know, of course I would."

Bringing back Killmonger would be a difficult task to pull off, but that doesn't mean Marvel won't (or shouldn't) try. He was one of the best parts of the first movie, so if there's a way to bring him back without weakening Black Panther, there's no reason not to do so. There are certainly loop holes they could toy with depending on what happens with Avengers 4 and the various Infinity Stones that are in play. Plus, who's to say that after Killmonger collapsed on the cliffs of Wakanda that T'Challa didn't employ a plan in secret that brings him back to life? There were even rumors of Jordan's return being in the works at one point.

This is a comic book based movie universe after all and there's no shortage of examples of characters returning from the dead. Just recently it was confirmed that Chris Pine is returning as Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman 1984, despite his death also being a major emotional cornerstone to the first film. Killmonger's passing is a big moment for Black Panther too, but Jordan is also one of Hollywood's rising and shining stars. A return could come through the ancestral plane, or not even in Black Panther 2 but actually a different MCU movie set in the past altogether. If Jordan is willing and Marvel is interested, maybe we haven't seen the last of Killmonger after all.