As you probably know by now, Star Wars is coming back to the multiplex this year in the way of J.J. Abrams’ The Force Awakens, the seventh episode in the space opera series started by George Lucas in 1977. Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm a few years back and announced the project, fans have been excited about the possibilities a return trip to the galaxy far, far away presents, and the response to the movie’s teaser trailer showed just how enthused everyone is.

One aspect of The Force Awakens that has many interested is that the project marks the return of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher to the franchise, as the trio will be reprising their iconic roles of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia, respectively. Getting another chance to see the beloved characters after all these decades is just one item on the long list of reasons Episode VII is one of the event films of the year, but how much of the old gang will we be seeing? According to Hamill, it might not be all that much.

While speaking with the LA Times to promote Kingsman: The Secret Service, Hamill was asked about his role in the upcoming Star Wars film. The actor said that while his participation in the project is important for the series moving forward, the days of him being the primary focus are seemingly over:

“I would have been completely okay with it not including us, but I do think having the original cast members there gives it a sense of continuity and scope. But mind you, it’s really about the new generation, it’s not about us.”

The teaser provided fans with several elements to speculate and theorize over, but – save for a money shot cameo by the Millennium Falcon – the preview was conspicuously void of any ties to the original trilogy, even though Force Awakens is basically a sequel to Return of the Jedi. That marketing decision by the Mouse House makes all the more sense when Hamill’s quote is taken into account, as the studio is making an attempt to familiarize moviegoers with the new blood prior to its release.

And honestly, this shouldn’t come as a major surprise to anyone. Recent plot rumors provided some strong hints that characters such as Finn (John Boyega), Rey (Daisy Ridley), and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) would be placed front and center during the movie’s narrative, laying down a foundation for the remaining two installments of the sequel trilogy. After all, Luke, Han, Leia and their friends had their moment in the spotlight and all got complete character arcs, so relegating them to supporting status may be best for the series creatively.

Regardless of how much screen time the established characters receive, there are legions of moviegoers who nevertheless are fervently awaiting The Force Awakens‘ arrival this December, clamoring for any new information about the film or wishing they could fast forward time and get to the premiere because they can’t wait any longer. Hamill is no doubt appreciative of the support the Star Wars fans have given him, but he does wish that they would slow down and smell the roses:

“Believe me, it will be here before you know it. Forget about it – that’s my advice. Look forward to all the summer movies. I’m telling you, it’s just a movie. These people that build it up in their minds like it’s going to be the second coming of, I don’t know what — they’re bound to be disappointed.”

ustifiably, the new Star Wars flick is at the top of many’s most-anticipated lists (including ours), but there is a lot of truth to what Hamill is saying.

Episode VII is far from the only movie being released in 2015 worth getting excited about. The summer movie season is chock-full of intriguing projects ranging from major superhero sequels (Avengers: Age of Ultron) to more mysterious works (Tomorrowland); tampering expectations for just how great the new episode can be may be beneficial for all of us. If we live by the wise Jedi Master’s words, that interminable wait to December will fly by, and hopefully we can just enjoy an entertaining Star Wars movie.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be in theaters December 18.