D1tfDMN.jpg

In this week’s episode, the crew of the Waverider had to travel back to the early 1980s at a time where a young Barack “Barry” Obama (Lovell Adams-Gray) was attending Occidental College. The Legends had to rescue the future president from Gorilla Grodd who wanted to “make America Grodd again.” Obama’s memory of the incident was erased. After Ray (Brandon Routh) defeated Grodd with his shrink ray, the Legends were unable to agree on what to do about Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough) and the time demon, Mallus, causing their leader, Sara (Caity Lotz) to seek advice from Obama. At the end of the scene, Sara told Obama, “I really miss you.”

In an interview with TV Line, Phil Klemmer was asked if he would be interested in having the current president appear in a future episode of Legends of Tomorrow. Klemmer said, “Um… I think you just guaranteed it. I’d love to see a mid-’80s Trump. It’d be a blast.”
jHXBMDW.jpg

Klemmer also talked about the scenes with Obama, and revealed that one scene in particular almost didn’t make the cut. At first, Klemmer worried that Sara’s conversation with Obama on what to do about Darhk and Mallus was unnecessary. Klemmer admits that the “totally gratuitous” scene was designed to be a “love letter” to the former president. However, after watching the episode, Klemmer was glad that the scene wasn’t cut.

It’s understandable why Klemmer would have second thoughts on the scene with Obama and Sara, as having a main character of a TV series take a clear political stance could upset viewers on the opposite side of the political spectrum. It’s unclear what Legends of Tomorrow will do with President Trump, who was in his 30s in the mid-1980s. At that time, Trump didn’t have the reputation of a powerful political figure or as the star of the reality TV series, Celebrity Apprentice. Trump was known mostly for his success in the real estate business. Due to his immense wealth, Trump was already very much in the public eye. If the real estate mogul does make an appearance in season 4, fans can expect a young Trump to have interesting interactions with the crew of the Waverider.