The script for Justice League 2 is, unsurprisingly, already in the works. Warner Bros. officially launched their DC film universe with Zack Snyder’s Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice last year, a follow-up to Snyder’s 2013 film, Man of Steel. David Ayer’s Suicide Squad and Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman allowed the franchise to develop before the studio united the world’s finest heroes – Superman (Henry Cavill), Batman (Ben Affleck), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Flash (Ezra Miller), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) – for the first time on the big screen with Justice League.

Warner Bros. has spent many years attempting to bring the League together on the silver screen – and it’s finally happening with Snyder’s film next month, which will continue the story left off after the death of Superman. The movie will see Steppenwolf and his army of Parademons invade Earth, searching for the three Mother Boxes that were left behind during the New Gods’ first war with Earth (the subject of the movie’s ancient prologue sequence). While many people had assumed that Darkseid, the ruler of Apokolips, would be taking on the League in their first mission (rather than Steppenwolf), the studio may be holding him back for Justice League 2, which is apparently already in development.

J.K. Simmons, who makes his debut as Commissioner James Gordon in Justice League, revealed in an interview with Total Film that the script for Justice League 2 is currently being written, which he seems to think that he’ll be a part of.

“Well, Commissioner Gordon wears a trench coat in every scene, so I don’t know that the ‘pumped up’ part is going to be all that evident, especially when you’re standing next to Batman! But this is the first Justice League movie – we hope – of a few. They’re working on scripts for The Batman and for the next Justice League movie. It introduces my incarnation of Commissioner Gordon. I don’t have a lot to do. I feel like I just dipped my toe in the water of who Commissioner Gordon will be.

What’s interesting is that, when Warner Bros. initially announced plans to move forward with an actual shared DC movie universe, they revealed their entire film slate from 2015 (before Batman V Superman was delayed to 2016) through 2020. The schedule has remained the same for the most part, with the Justice League movies suffered the biggest change. Snyder was originally scheduled to direct both Justice League: Part One and Justice League: Part Two, with the latter releasing in June 2019. Last year, though, it was revealed they would no longer be making a two-part story; rather, each Justice League installment would be stand-alone.

While it’s not that surprising that Justice League 2 is in development, considering the sheer amount of negative press that has plagued the DC universe thus far, this news should ease any concerns people had about the franchise’s future. However, many people may still be wondering whether or not Snyder will still direct Justice League 2, as well as when the film would release, seeing as the studio has plenty of unclaimed DC-related release dates ripe for the taking. Unfortunately, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens.