Juliette Lewis confesses she is currently experiencing a bit of an “existential crisis”.

The 41-year-old actress has been active in the movie industry since 1987 and she is now promoting her new family dramedy, Kelly & Cal.

Juliette admits she identifies with her character Kelly’s state of mind because entering her forties has caused a psychological transformation she didn’t anticipate.

“Even though I’m not a new mother like Kelly is, I was going through a similar existential crisis. It’s gotten better, but I guess I’m still going through it—where you question all the things that drove you when you were younger and how those things aren’t going to sustain you in mid-life, and you find yourself reflecting, and feeling lost,” she explained to The Daily Beast.

Juliette says her struggle concerns a host of personal issues.

But she’s also started to deeply reflect on professional topics.

“I think the big thing, for me, is facing my parents’ mortality. That is horrifying, and I’m still dealing with it,” the star detailed. “There’s just so much wrapped up in it. My Dad is older and has Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, and it’s taken me seven years to accept it—and I still haven’t accepted it.

“I was going through that, and with my band, I’d been playing music for six years, but I realised that I still loved acting, storytelling, and characters, so that was doing my head in because I didn’t know how to balance both. I was struggling to strike a balance.”

Juliette’s feature Kelly & Cal will be released in US theatres September 19.