In a rather bold move for MTV, the cable network has given a script-to-series commitment to Shannara, a new drama series based on the popular fantasy novels by Terry Brooks.

Deadline reports that Iron Man helmer Jon Favreau signed on to direct the project, which will be written by Smallville creators Miles Miller and Alfred Gough. The trio will also executive produce alongside Brooks and Dan Farah (The Crow remake) under his Farah Films; Sonar Entertainment will produce as well.

"We feel that the Shannara novels are a perfect fit for MTV as this type of fantasy genre has continuously proved to resonate with our audience," said MTV President Susanne Daniels, who also helped Miller and Gough get Smallville on the air back when she was still working at the WB.

Set in our world thousands of years after civilization as we know it was destroyed, the story follows the Shannara family, whose lineage is empowered by ancient magic and continually reshapes the Four Lands (a future North America). According to Deadline, if MTV likes the script and gives it a straight-to-series order, the first season of the show will be based on The Elfstones of Shannara, the second book in the series.

Meanwhile, Brooks himself has blogged about the TV project, which he assured his fans he heartily supports.

In his post titled "Why Shannara on MTV is a Good Thing," the author wrote, "I just want you to know how happy I am with the way things have worked out. I couldn't be more excited to be partnered with Farah Films, Sonar Entertainment, Millar and Gough, Favreau, and now MTV. It's a team that will get this done and done right.

"What makes me excited for the future is the extent to which we are all on the same page with regard to how the series should be developed and how much everyone is committed to seeing that it sticks close to the heart and soul of the books. If I didn't feel this way, I couldn't write this letter. So let's celebrate this finally coming together. It's been thirty-five years since that effort began. The best still lies ahead, and I am looking forward to getting there."