Marvel's Jessica Jones showrunner and creator Melissa Rosenberg has announced that she will depart the Netflix series once the currently-filming season 3 is completely finished. The writer/producer will be turning her attention to different ventures, as part of a new deal that she only just signed with Warner Bros. Television.

While the Marvel/Netflix TV show corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been an overall success since its debut with Daredevil season 1 in 2015, the mini-franchise is in a nebulous position at the moment. Marvel TV doesn't appear to have any plans to develop more series for Netflix at the moment, despite the latter's assurances that it remains open to additional Marvel spinoffs during last month's TCA Summer Tour. Beyond that, Marvel's TV division is expected to shift its efforts away from its street-level New York superheroes soon and instead start focusing its attention on crafting original content for platforms like Disney's streaming service (which launches next year).

Regardless of whether Jessica Jones season 4 actually happens or not, it's now official: Rosenberg won't be involved as its showrunner (though she would retain her creator and executive producer credit). According to THR, Rosenberg signed the multi-year deal with WBTV to develop and create new projects after - reportedly - being courted by Netflix to stay onboard. The writer/producer herself has nothing but good things to say about Marvel TV, Netflix, and her Jessica Jones cast/crew in her official statement regarding the news:

"All of my attention remains with the extraordinary cast, writers and production team of Marvel’s Jessica Jones, until the completion of season three. It continues to be a career highlight working with my partners at Marvel Television and Netflix. We’re extraordinarily grateful to the viewers who have supported us every step of the way on Jessica’s journey, which is so beautifully realized by Krysten Ritter and the amazing cast including Rachael Taylor, Eka Darville and Carrie-Anne Moss. We have so many talented storytellers in every area of this show, who I’m honored to call friends and collaborators. As I look ahead after this season, I’m thrilled that I will be able to explore new projects with the talented team at Warner Bros. Television and push myself in new challenging creative directions.”

As THR notes in its writeup, Rosenberg is the rare TV showrunner in recent memory who's stepped away from a Netflix deal for a contract with another production company, and not vice versa. Prolific writers/producers like Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story) and Shondra Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder) have signed big deals with the streaming service over the past year, and Black-ish creator Kenya Barris likewise just finalized his $100 million contract with Netflix this past week. This no doubt factored into Rosenberg's negotiations with WBTV and ultimately may have assisted her in securing a sizable (and well-earned) payday of her own.

As for Jessica Jones: with the show's future somewhat up in the air (like the rest of the Marvel/Netflix slate) and Rosenberg stepping down, it's possible season 3 will offer a stronger sense of closure than seasons past have. Indeed, with the series diving into Trish Walker's long-awaited Hellcat comic book storyline next season, its narrative arc could provide a fitting conclusion to Miss Jones' larger journey on the small screen. Of course, nothing is set in stone on that front right now and Jessica Jones may yet live on for a fourth season, even without its creator onboard.

Marvel's Jessica Jones season 3 doesn't have an official premiere date yet.